Thursday, April 8, 2010

Travel Meds

So we both had to go to the doctor for a checkup and possibly vaccines before our trip. Thankfully, neither of us needed to get any shots. What we did leave with was a bag full of medication. We were given the standard medication for travelers diarrhea (sounds pretty unpleasant... hope we won't be needing it). And then there's my stuff.



The big worry for me on this trip is Interstitial Cystitis, a painful bladder condition, now thought to be an auto-immune disease. The trouble comes when I eat or drink the wrong thing (mostly acidic things like citrus or tea) but also when I travel. It's something to do with bumps in the road, apparently. Either way, it's highly unpleasant, and we're going to be traveling a whole lot. I've never been on a train, so I have no idea how bumpy it will be. Yikes.

I was given a month's supply of the standard medication I take to treat this condition, but the doctor thought maybe we should try something else in addition. Something more short-term just for traveling. So I get to try this stuff that makes me pee... orange. How exciting. We'll see if it does anything; I'm testing it out by taking it and then eating something abrasive, like strawberries. I think next I'll try green tea. I miss it and this is an excellent excuse to have some.

On making this post: part of me thinks "talking about pee is TMI". The other part of me thinks having an invisible disability is really frustrating and spreading awareness of it is a good thing. It's also a pretty big obstacle for me and although I'm hoping it won't be as much trouble as I think it will, it could cause some troubles on this trip.

1 comment:

  1. That's a bummer about the pee stuff. Tea and citrus are two of the best things about daily food here. Sudachi, a small super sour green fruit, is lovely on udon noodles or in a beer.

    I have to say, however, from personal experience, Japan has wonderful over-the-counter meds for stomach aches and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete